Thousands Of Injury Claims, Millions Won

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Articles
  4.  » Steps To Take Following A Connecticut Motor Vehicle Accident

Steps To Take Following A Connecticut Motor Vehicle Accident

Almost every day we hear about motor vehicle crashes. With so many motorists on the Connecticut roads accidents routinely occur. This was highlighted recently in Danbury when two teenagers were killed in a crash after the van, in which they were traveling, rolled over, went through a guardrail and tumbled down an embankment. So what happens when you find yourself involved in a
Connecticut motor vehicle accident?

First Step to Take Following an Accident

The first step – no matter what the situation – is to call 911 to get any medical assistance needed. This will also bring the local police on the scene and an accident report can be completed. Make sure to get certain information from the other driver involved in the accident, specifically the insurance company and policy number.

Injuries can be sustained in even the most minor of crashes. Sorting out the details after an accident can be the most burdensome aspect of any accident, from minor to severe.

Insurance Claims

In most states, including Connecticut, the person at-fault for the auto accident is the one who is legally liable to pay for any damages.
Injured passengers are also entitled to compensation from liable insurers. The other driver’s insurance collision coverage should pay for damages to your vehicle and the cost of any medical bills. Some states are no-fault states, where both drivers involved are covered by their own insurance through their personal injury protection coverage. However, if someone involved sustains severe injuries, then the at-fault individual is responsible for the monetary compensation.

The state of Connecticut requires, at a minimum, the following insurance for all drivers:

  • $20,000 in coverage per person per accident for bodily injury liability
  • $40,000 in coverage per accident for bodily injury liability
  • $10,000 in coverage per accident for property damage liability

If the insurer of the driver who is at fault in your accident refuses to pay the full claim, there are options. Contact the Insurance Department for help in resolving the dispute, but if this does not work a lawsuit against the other driver might be required. If you or a loved one was injured in an accident, contact a skilled personal injury attorney who will make sure your rights are protected and fight for a fair monetary settlement.