Thousands Of Injury Claims, Millions Won

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Workers’ Compensation
  4.  » Workers’ Compensation FAQs

Answering Your Questions About Workers’ Compensation

Q: What is workers’ compensation?

A: Workers’ compensation is a form of insurance that provides injured workers medical and wage loss benefits. In exchange for this protection, workers are not allowed to sue their employers for losses suffered as a result of a workplace injury.

Q: What benefits does workers’ compensation provide for injured workers?

A: If your claim is approved, you can expect to obtain benefits for medical expenses and a portion of lost wages. Depending on the nature and extent of your injury, you may obtain temporary or permanent wage loss benefits.

Q: How can I afford to pay a lawyer when my injury prevents me from working?

A: We handle workers’ compensation cases on a contingent fee basis. This means that you don’t pay us unless we win your case. Our fee will come out of your recovery.

Q: What does ‘arising out of employment’ mean?

A: Arising out of employment means that, in order to be covered by workers’ compensation, your injury must have occurred while you were engaged in a work-related activity.

Q: Are there exceptions to the general rule that when employees are injured at work, they are eligible for workers’ compensation benefits?

A: There are very few exceptions. If a worker is under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the accident, he or she may be precluded from receiving benefits.

Q: Can I obtain additional compensation if the accident was the employer’s fault?

A: Generally, no. The only situation where this might be possible is if the employer committed gross negligence or willfully caused your injury.

Q: What if my injury was caused by a negligent third party?

A: If a negligent third party caused your accident, you may file a personal injury claim against that party. Examples of third-party liability accidents include drivers getting injured by careless motorists or accidents caused by negligent contractors who are not employees of your company.

Q: Where can I get straightforward answers about my workplace injury and any of the following specific issues?

A: Talk to an attorney at Gillis Law Firm to discuss these and other particulars of your case. Call 866-603-9810 or use our online contact form.