Thousands Of Injury Claims, Millions Won

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Motor Vehicle Accidents
  4.  » IIHS urges speed limiters for trucks

IIHS urges speed limiters for trucks

On Behalf of | Jul 19, 2022 | Motor Vehicle Accidents

Truck accidents in Connecticut continue to be a major source of concern. Many safety experts believe that a large part of the problem involves excessive speed. Agencies like the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) are urging the use of limiters to curb the speed of these large vehicles. They claim that this can reduce crashes.

Excessive speed is a hazard

Motor vehicle accidents involving commercial big rig trucks are a frequent source of injuries and fatalities. The IIHS has urged the government to enforce the use of limiters on large trucks.

The idea is to reduce the top level of speed on a vehicle with a gross weight of over 26,000 pounds. There is no consensus yet on what the top allowable speed will be. This idea has gained credence because excessive speed was a factor in over one-third of all crashes involving large trucks in the past year.

Trucks have a harder time slowing to a full stop than a car. This creates a hazard when a truck has to come to a halt to avoid an obstacle on the road. If a truck collides with another vehicle, it will naturally do more damage because of its larger weight.

What to do after a truck accident

The past year has seen a massive spike in the total number of truck accidents all across the U.S. If you should be involved in such an accident, it’s crucial to seek medical attention. It’s a good idea to keep records related to all of your surgeries, medications and any ongoing physical therapy or rehab that you receive.

To understand the accident, it can help to get photos of your vehicle, the truck that caused the accident and the scene of the accident itself. Try to get eyewitness statements from emergency medical personnel, police and anyone who witnessed the accident. The more evidence and records you have access to, the stronger your case can be if you choose to file a claim.