Thousands Of Injury Claims, Millions Won

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Workers' Compensation
  4.  » How to file workers’ compensation claims

How to file workers’ compensation claims

On Behalf of | Mar 24, 2022 | Workers' Compensation

If you get injured on the job in New Haven, Connecticut, you can file a workers’ compensation claim. However, you must follow a process to determine your eligibility.

How workers’ compensation works

Workers’ compensation is insurance that your employer carries to cover an injured worker’s salary while they heal. It covers the employee’s lost wages, medical expenses and rehabilitation, which prevents huge financial loss for employers and employees.

Connecticut requires businesses with one or more employees to have workers’ compensation coverage, whether they are full-time or part-time. There are exceptions, which include household workers who work less than 26 hours per week, independent contractors and sole proprietors. The employee commonly cannot sue the employer for injury once they accept the benefits.

Filing a claim

If you’re injured, immediately report the injury or illness to your supervisor even if it doesn’t require emergency attention. Complete form 30C and send by certified mail to the Workers’ Compensation Commission and to your employer.

State law allows you one year from the time of knowing about the injury to file a claim. You have three years to file a claim related to occupational diseases, such as mesothelioma, once symptoms appear. The provider has 28 days to determine if you qualify for benefits, or they may have to pay penalties.

In most cases, you may follow up with your own qualifying doctor after seeing the employer’s chosen doctor. To qualify for benefits, your injury must have happened under the scope of employment, which means expected employee tasks. There is a three-day waiting period for benefits unless you haven’t been able to work for seven days.

Dealing with a workplace injury or illness is stressful enough without denials of deserved compensation. If you think you have been unfairly denied, you may file an appeal. If your employer denies a claim, you may request a hearing as a resolution.